Re: [be] future bibledit

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: Re: [be] future bibledit
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 13:12:03 +0200

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 21:30 +0200, David Gardner wrote:
> I'd really like to second that idea.
> I've written very little python and too much PHP, but I'd far rather debug
> python code than the mess it's too easy to make in PHP.

PHP is so flexible that making a mess of it can easily be done. It
depends on the programmer being responsible enough to keep the matters
clean.

> Also, it seems to me that python's object-orientation is more "convinced"
> than PHP's, which has always seemed as a bit of an afterthought...
> So I'd have thought that that would be an easier transition from bibledit's
> C++

While all code in PHP is now being written as objects, much more than
bibledit's code was in C++, there's still a huge difference of concept
between desktop applications and web based applications. People have
different expectations from web based applications than they have from
desktop applications. It means that the whole code base is going to be
rewritten, taking out the many inconsistencies now in bibledit.

Teus.