Re: [be] future bibledit

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: Re: [be] future bibledit
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 15:30:17 +0200

On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 15:09 +0200, Kari Valkama wrote:
> What do you think of HTML 5 and JavaScript?
> I understand that the proponents of HTML 5 and Javascript say that those
> tools are enough to write complete applications, without PHP. Thus I am
> interested in hearing your arguments against that in comparison of PHP.

It may have to be shown by example how HTML 5 and Javascript are enough
to write complete applications, and in particular how such combination
would deal with persistence tools such as databases on the server. Since
traditionally PHP and similar languages have been used to create web
based applications, I believe that the burden of proof lies with the
proponents of HTML 5 and Javascript.

Another area of concern might be how far HTML 5 is being supported by
browsers that run on traditional desktops, on netbooks, tablets, in cell
phones and on smart phones. All these devices are now currently in use
and bibledit aims at a situation that users of these can access its
translation services.

I do however have no argument against HTML 5 and Javascript provided
that all the target devices mentioned above support it, and welcome
suggestions such as you make.

Bibledit-web now tries to use HTML and CSS and PHP, as a tried and
proven set of tools.

Teus.