Re: [be] future bibledit

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: Re: [be] future bibledit
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 07:55:59 +0200

On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 21:40 -0700, Neil Mayhew wrote:
> On 2010-03-09 21:16, Teus Benschop wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 12:01 -0700, Neil Mayhew wrote:
> >> Therefore we need an editing environment that runs snappily on a
> >> machine with 512MB RAM and a 1GHz processor.
> >
> > I much agree with the above statement, and aim to ensure that the
> > editing environment runs fast on such hardware. Teus.
>
> Glad to hear that. However, will it run stand-alone on such hardware, ie
> client *and* server, disconnected from the internet?

The intention is that both server and client would run on the same
hardware. I suppose that once PHP and MySQL are taken as a necessity,
that the type of web server to be used gives some opportunity here to
look for a lighter one which runs properly on the hardware. My
experience so far is that MySQL server places little demand on a system,
and the same applies to Apache. It is really the Javascript that runs in
a browser that places the demand on a system, and for that reason
Javascript is hardly going to be used. It's going to be HTML and CSS, so
that the software runs snappily. Teus.