Re: [be] future bibledit

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: Re: [be] future bibledit
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 12:54:12 +0200

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 09:55 -0600, Oreo Warpok wrote:

> Perhaps the new Bibledit could be called Bibledit-web?

Perhaps it should, but on the other hand, will this mislead people into
thinking that it runs only on the web, whereas it also runs on the
"local" web?

> How much can be ported over rather automatically to PHP? Does this
> mean you will be doing a terrific amount of reprogramming?

It does not get ported rather automatically, and it is manual work. The
good part is that the structure of PHP and C++ are similar. Where the
biggest differences are is that doing things in a desktop application,
and doing things are on the web are completely different. This PHP web
application only lives at the moment that a page request is done, after
that it dies.

> How long do you anticipate that the development will take?

It will grow over time, and start to be useable hopefully soon. A demo
is now up at bibledit.org/demo, but it does show little at this moment.
Most time is spent in laying the foundations and basic tools.

> Thanks so much for your moving in this direction. I have copied Tim
> Jore. Have you seen what he is envisioning with the Door43 project at
> Distant Shores Media (dsmedia.org)? Is there a way that the two ideas
> can be brought together?

The project you mention seems wider in scope, it covers all sorts of
"discipleship tools", of which the Bible is the first one and the most
important one as mentioned in that project, but it goes beyond it. I
supposed that both projects can benefit from one another while remaining
separate, such that bibledit could become a "bible tool" which could be
used by that site.

You will have built up a stock of experience by now after translating on
the web for several years.

Teus.