Re: Python Was: [Mldonkey-users] getting frustrated

From: Ken Bradshaw
Subject: Re: Python Was: [Mldonkey-users] getting frustrated
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 00:09:11 +0200

[Please do not see this as a flame war. I hope we can have a constructive thread, even if I play here the devil advocate]

Martin wrote:
i think its one of its biggest advantages...look at emule and all the
0-upload-mods. just because every script-kiddie can code in c.

You are kidding, no?
You are telling me nobody can see that mldonkey has a "no upload" already built in, with a limit of 300. Changing 300 to 300000 is something any script kiddie can do :-)

But going further and doing something useful is HARD. So by using ocaml, you discourage the useful coders, not the "script kiddies"

but only a "few good men" are willing to learn a new programming
language

ahem... the whole ML familly (Caml, Ocaml, SML...) have been there for at least 20 years (ML was born 30 years ago exactly), with no real world use (especially real world use in teams of programmers). Ocaml is not a *new* language. Individuals regularily try to prove that ocaml can do things and code bright and efficient systems (web browsers, web proxies, compilers... even a Microsoft virtual reality system), and then these projects die... when the Phd student leaves the INRIA project. (mmm... when did mldonkey author left the INRIA project BTW? :-)

i learn about ocaml the more i like it)

I am sure you can have fun learning latin. I had, at school.
But try to use it to communicate with co-workers to accomplish a goal...