Re: [External] : Re: Is there a way to avoid clobbering minibuffer by me

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Is there a way to avoid clobbering minibuffer by messages?
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 20:06:04 +0000

It's not perhaps the solution that would suit everyone, but I'd bet some users will prefer that to the way they are currently displayed. A third option would indeed be a kind of pop-up buffer. And there are probably other options.

Popup buffer and popup frame (perhaps a child frame?) are IMO the only viable alternatives that are worth having in Emacs.

A popup frame is not an option for terminal users. A popup buffer could be an option, but if I had to choose between the two, I think I would choose the mode-line one, which is IMO less disturbing.

And here is (a first draft of) the code for a popup buffer.

Two typos corrected.