Re: [External] : Re: Is there a way to avoid clobbering minibuffer by me

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Is there a way to avoid clobbering minibuffer by messages?
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 19:45:07 +0000

Hmmm... why not?

Not enough screen estate, and cannot be enlarged to show more than one screen line. You cannot base a general-purpose feature such as echo-area messages on the assumption that the message will never need more than one screen line.

You may have seen that the mode-line is (on purpose) used if and only if the minibuffer is active. IOW, most messages are still displayed in the echo area.

It's not perhaps the solution that would suit everyone, but I'd bet some users will prefer that to the way they are currently displayed. A third option would indeed be a kind of pop-up buffer. And there are probably other options.

Popup buffer and popup frame (perhaps a child frame?) are IMO the only viable alternatives that are worth having in Emacs.

A popup frame is not an option for terminal users. A popup buffer could be an option, but if I had to choose between the two, I think I would choose the mode-line one, which is IMO less disturbing.