Re: [External] : Re: Is there a way to avoid clobbering minibuffer by me

From: Sergey Organov
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Is there a way to avoid clobbering minibuffer by messages?
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 22:37:42 +0300

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 18:16:22 +0000
>> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
>> cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>>
>> > And I thought Drew wanted echo-area messages to pop in a separate
>> > buffer.  The mode line is not a good place for showing messages, IMNSHO.
>>
>> Hmmm... why not?
>
> Not enough screen estate, and cannot be enlarged to show more than one
> screen line.  You cannot base a general-purpose feature such as
> echo-area messages on the assumption that the message will never need
> more than one screen line.

There is no such assumption though, unless there is strict requirement
to show entire message. To me it looks fine to get only (part of) the
first line of the message, provided I can then check it in whole
elsewhere (if I decide to).

That said, I just checked my *Messages* buffer, and don't see anything
multi-line there, so multi-line echo area message is rather unusual to
encounter anyway?

>> It's not perhaps the solution that would suit everyone, but I'd bet
>> some users will prefer that to the way they are currently displayed.
>> A third option would indeed be a kind of pop-up buffer.  And there
>> are probably other options.
>
> Popup buffer and popup frame (perhaps a child frame?) are IMO the only
> viable alternatives that are worth having in Emacs.

Modeline looks more appealing to me, really hate popups.

Thanks,
-- Sergey