Re: [External] : Re: Is there a way to avoid clobbering minibuffer by me

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Is there a way to avoid clobbering minibuffer by messages?
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 21:31:24 +0300

> Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 18:16:22 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
> cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > And I thought Drew wanted echo-area messages to pop in a separate
> > buffer.  The mode line is not a good place for showing messages, IMNSHO.
>
> Hmmm... why not?

Not enough screen estate, and cannot be enlarged to show more than one
screen line.  You cannot base a general-purpose feature such as
echo-area messages on the assumption that the message will never need
more than one screen line.

> It's not perhaps the solution that would suit everyone, but I'd bet
> some users will prefer that to the way they are currently displayed.
> A third option would indeed be a kind of pop-up buffer.  And there
> are probably other options.

Popup buffer and popup frame (perhaps a child frame?) are IMO the only
viable alternatives that are worth having in Emacs.