Re: [Gnash-dev] Hardware acceleration support

From: Gwenole Beauchesne
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Hardware acceleration support
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 17:30:18 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Rob Savoye wrote:

Gwenole Beauchesne wrote:

I wanted to mention that the latest Cairo prerelease has a working
OpenGL backend. This means we could drop our OpenGL renderer and rely on
Cairo for crisp OpenGL rendering instead.

 Course our Cairo renderer is quite slow for some reason, I assume it's
in how Gnash uses Cairo more than Cairo itself. But one of the main
ideas behind the Cairo backend was that it was going to support both
framebuffers and OpenGL, thereby freeing us from maintaining multiple
renders like we do now.

Yes, I also believe the Cairo backend is the future. However, aside of the performance problems, there also is a correctness problem. Currently, we have AGG > Cairo > OpenGL in correctness. Though Cairo being close to AGG. I myself don't know AGG and very little of Cairo, so we'd need to find someone with good Cairo-fu! ;-)

BTW, Cairo also has an OpenVG renderer, which should be interesting for handheld devices. It's also very well optimized, so performance issues in Gnash would indeed be in the way it's used there.

Regards,
Gwenole.