Re: [Gnash-dev] Hardware acceleration support

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Hardware acceleration support
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 09:12:20 -0700

Gwenole Beauchesne wrote:

> It seems OGL doesn't work at all, no matter VA-API is built-in or not.
> Something is probably wrong with the DRI/GLX check.

  There is a new check in the latest version that checks to see if DRI
or GLX extensions are enabled, but nothing is done with that result yet.
The idea is that if somebody did have DRI and GLX enabled, we'd probably
want to use it.

> ** (lt-gtk-gnash:14386): WARNING **: This systms lacks a hardware OpenGL
> driver!
> (lt-gtk-gnash:14386): GtkGLExt-CRITICAL **:
> gtk_widget_set_gl_capability: assertion `!GTK_WIDGET_REALIZED (widget)'
> failed
> [...]

  We use the GtkGL widget for OpenGL and GTK. It was easier to do it
that way at the time many years ago. I'm not 100% sure it's still the
best option, but not being a graphics hacker, it's hard to know. All I
know is that I would like Gnash to be able to take as much advantage of
hardware acceleration whenever possible, as on a netbook, it's about the
only way to get decent performance.

        - rob -