Re: [Gnash-dev] Hardware acceleration support

From: Gwenole Beauchesne
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Hardware acceleration support
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 15:40:27 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Rob Savoye wrote:

The performance improvement is really effective for H.264 videos
playback only. You probably should downgrade your system to an Atom. ;-)

 You have a point. :-) I have no Atom hardware to test on, so yeah, on
a dual core it may make no difference. Course that means on a fast
enough CPU, VAAPI doesn't buy anything, so we'd probably want to disable
it. I guess I had just assumed that a hardware decoding would be faster
than software decoding, even with a dual-core.

I have a Phenom X3 (triple core) and it does help. For example, the 2012 trailer I pointed to you doesn't decode in real time with the SW decoder. So, this generally is a win for H.264 on all platforms.

Please point me to your samples so that I can check where the bottleneck is. I believe the clip was poorly encoded.

Besides using HW video decode acceleration reduces power used since the CPU can run at lower frequency: 1 - 1.8 GHz vs. 2.7 GHz without HW acceleration.