Re: [Gnash-dev] Hardware acceleration support

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Hardware acceleration support
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 07:28:04 -0700

Gwenole Beauchesne wrote:

> Actually, this won't work for VAAPI at this time because you won't have
> the right VaapiGlobalContext initialized for OGL. I will look into his
> once the remaining bits are merged.

  I noticed too that OpenGL doesn't work anyway, I obviously broke
something. All I get now is a blank grey box. The changes for switching
renderers is separate from the VAAPI code, even though they're in the
same branch.

> This works on GMA500 too. The next change in Gnash would require an
> unreleased driver, though.

  All I had was an old Intel i915 which doesn't work with this at all.

> The performance improvement is really effective for H.264 videos
> playback only. You probably should downgrade your system to an Atom. ;-)

  You have a point. :-) I have no Atom hardware to test on, so yeah, on
a dual core it may make no difference. Course that means on a fast
enough CPU, VAAPI doesn't buy anything, so we'd probably want to disable
it. I guess I had just assumed that a hardware decoding would be faster
than software decoding, even with a dual-core. The only lend end
hardware I have is a Via C7, which I don't think VAAPI supports.

        - rob -