Re: [Gnash-dev] Hardware acceleration support

From: Gwenole Beauchesne
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Hardware acceleration support
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 07:31:44 +0100

Hi,

Le 2 mars 10 à 03:08, Rob Savoye a écrit :

The original idea was to make them dynamically loadable plugins, but for
now the big render library works. (in the branch, that is).

Actually, this won't work for VAAPI at this time because you won't have the right VaapiGlobalContext initialized for OGL. I will look into his once the remaining bits are merged.

So far I've tested this on an Nvidia
(binary blob and libvdpau required), and Intel (965 required), and
supposedly ATI works with libxvba.

This works on GMA500 too. The next change in Gnash would require an unreleased driver, though.

The other Intel driver is 'i965' but IMHO, this is a misnommer as this is G45 in reality. The H.264 decoder is not released yet. I will prepare you a list of drivers / versions.

Unfortunately Gnash's Xv support has a major
scaling bug...

I have an idea to workaround that but in my testing, this probably is not what we want in practise. We probably should refine the heuristics and have a canvas at most 2x smaller than the displayed dimensions so that it is better looking? Besides, my trick is very ugly. :-(

So far I actually haven't seen much performance improvement in my
testing, (mpeg4 n an FLV) but it looks like the bottleneck is in our
renderers.

The performance improvement is really effective for H.264 videos playback only. You probably should downgrade your system to an Atom. ;-)

Regards,
Gwenole.