Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 03:36:14 +0000

Jason Clifford <address@hidden> wrote: [...]
> I would like for the remains of the money UKFSN donated to AFFS to be
> passed on to such an organisation rather than FSFE as the FSFE do
> nothing which would satisfy the purpose for which that money was raised
> and donated.

At least in their goals, AFFS (see section 2 of
http://www.affs.org.uk/documents/affs-const.txt ) and FSFE (see
section 2 of http://www.fsfeurope.org/about/legal/constitution.en.html
) are pretty similar. AFFS's are/were UK-centric, but other than that,
they're as similar as one would expect, given FSFE's assistance in
starting AFFS.

However, if a grants programme is specifically the only way to
"satisfy the purpose for which that money was raised", then I think
it's right that FSFE isn't currently awarding grants - as far as I
could tell. Maybe they would for the AFFS money if they get it. Shall
we ask them?

I'd be pretty uncomfortable helping the money get to an organisation
with even less track record than AFFS had.

Declaration of interest (even though I expect it to be resolved before
any grants programme comes out of this): my worker cooperative is
currently seeking funding to defend a free software project trademark
for the greater good of the wider third sector.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)