Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: AFFS

From: Jason Clifford
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: AFFS
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 18:21:33 +0000

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 18:10 +0000, John¹ wrote:
> Once again I would advise consulting a solicitor if you want to find out
> the precise position.

To what ends? I have no interest in wasting my or UKFSN's money on
obtaining legal opinion unless I intend to try and obtain some specific
ends and that seems to be lacking here.

> Again you would have to inform said solicitor that
> there was at least on person who had continued to pay to their membership
> fees, (which I think you'll find will complicate matters, (and therefore
> no doubt inflate the bill).

It only complicate matters if it either means that AFFS continued to
exist on account of that or if you are using that to try and make things
harder and more expensive than they need to be. A couple of very simple
solutions have been suggested. If you have a particular problem with
them why not simply say what that is?

> It was either you or UKFSN who has a £1000.00 donation in the AFFS bank
> account is it not?

UKFSN donated £1,000 to AFFS for the purpose of establishing a UK Free
Software grant programme. I don't know whether any other donations were
specific to that or some other particular ends.

> I think you'll find that my subscriptions to a dormant association may
> well be refundable.

So ask for the money back. I'm fairly sure someone who used to be on the
Executive has already stated that this is no problem.

> As this
> seems to be making me the target for so much work, just in reading and
> replying to the posts let alone looking into the need for new rules and
> investigating how to verify who was or was not a previous member, that it
> would be preferable were to employ a solicitor, (who may of course need
> Counsels opinion, which is quite a bit more than a solicitors fees, at
> least that was the case in the previous case I was involved in involving
> an unincorporated association), As Mark Eberhard writes it may now be in
> the best interests of every one to take legal advice.

I agree that it is very likely that any solicitor you consult will
recommend obtaining Counsels opinion as solicitors do not tend to deal
directly with matters which may well be legally complex as this may.
Pursuing this route will be a really good way to waste £thousands.

The only person making you "the target for so much work" is you.