Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership, Executive membership and a suggestion

From: John¹
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership, Executive membership and a suggestion
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 18:23:05 +0000

On Monday 02 March 2009 17:34:21 Richard Smedley wrote:
> > I suggest one slight alternative;
>
> Jason or Sam's solution seems good to me.

Jason seems to have moved this into the area where what is required would
be legal advice.

> Speaking as a former member of the committee who resigned
> due to too many commitments, I agree with Ian that raking
> over past problems is not the most productive way to
> get re-booted. Very busy people worked very hard on
> AFFS, and final problems were probably a combination
> of lack of time to meet, and bureaucratic overhead of
> the constitution.
>
> Any resurrection of AFFS will depend on member interest
> and direction from said members [1] - what sort of
> interest have you had in these off-list e-mails, John?

So far the off-list emails have been far too sensitive to move on list, but
there is more interest in expressing considerable anger that the senders
were not notified of meetings or the collapse of the AFFS. If I were you I
would be looking to the winding up of the AFFS which would free up the
donations to be made in order wind up the bank account.

> If there's enough interest in a meeting and a re-boot,
> call one and see who comes. Somewhere central, obviously
> - previous successful meetings have been in London
> and Birmingham, but if you want Manchester I'm happy to
> try and arrange a venue :)

You may remember me from the Birmingham meeting of 2004, I was the one in
the wheelchair, going to just the AGM and not the preceding conference
took two days for my wife to get me there and even then I seem to remember
we were late, since then I have moved from East Anglia to Northern
Scotland, Even Edinburgh or perhaps Lanark would involve an overnight
stay.

>  - Richard
>
> [1] Declaration of interest: I'm looking at applying for an AFFS
>     grant to pay towards some Free Software I'm commissioning for
>     the voluntary sector, so things would be a lot easier with
>     a functioning AFFS, and its grant scheme.

As I wrote winding up, which with every post from members of the last
committee looks more and more likely, would probably free up grant money.