Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 14:57:38 +0100

Anthony Ogden:
> Ok you sold me, I'm new to the list but I'm slowly getting with it.   My
> main problem is that whilst I adore Open Source and FSF etc.

You may well find that certain people here (myself included) are rather
cynical about the "Open Source" term.  My reason for this is that I started
out supporting it, but I've become horrified with how the proprietary
software companies are taking over the term.  I lost a lot of faith when it
became blindingly obvious that they couldn't make the term a service mark or
similar.

I learnt a lot of trademark law from watching that and the Linux trademark
battles.  Copyright I know from classes at university on how they want to
commercially exploit public-funded works.  I know less about patents, but I
think I am learning.  I want to try to exploit my public-funded learning for
the greater good of the public... and AFFS seems a good way to do that.

> I work in a hardened Microsoft closed environment and rarely ever get to
> talk about this stuff with anyone who knows anything about it. So its much
> appreciated when I can talk to people like youself !

Well, I look forward to a chat either before or after the London meeting if
you will be there.  I should be fairly easy to spot: I'm the guy in the blue
shirt (probably) talking too much.

> www.tokyo2051.org

Hrm, I can't get in there unless I use Mozilla and I can't find any music
easily.  :-/  One 404 and one director plugin page is pretty much all I see.
No, these are not the free musicians I seek.

> Ok perhaps is not truly open source... the site states you can do what you
> want with it for non-commercial purposes as long as you acknowledge where
> it came from.

So if I wanted to burn and sell compilations on audio CD to my friends, I
can't include this?

> What would Open Source music be though?   They would have to supply you
> with the raw musical data so you can alter it too?  I guess when you can
> take the music alter it and re-distribute it.. that's "Open Music" with
> "Freedom"?

Well, we can all listen and some talented people can reproduce the sound.
Human disassemblers, I suppose.  If the notated music or individual tracks
of the recording are available, that's a bonus, but not essential, as long
as they won't sue you when you reuse their music.

> >Nothing like some irrational beliefs to keep you sane...
> Believe me... I'm far from sane.  Insanity all the way.   They only way I
> can cope with my screaming kids is to be completely and utterly mad as a
> hatter ;)

Woodchip rosebud, my friend.
--
MJR