Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide

From: Anthony Ogden
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 22:05:49 +0100

Alex Hudson wrote:

The reason people here make a big deal of Open Source vs. Free Software
is because of the essentially political nature of the subject. The
definition is important - although you see OSS and Free Software as the
same thing (according to the OSD, they should be the same thing), in
practice people call all sorts of software Open Souce. Free (as in
speech) Software doesn't get confused like that.
Ok. Get the point. Its just I always thought the term Open Source came about because people originally just took "Free Software" to mean you didn't pay for it
just picked up on the "free" and didn't think about the Freedom.

Give me flack for that if you want, I'm sure plenty of others think the same so it helps clear the air, I'm willing to make myself look like a t!t asking the
questions if need be ;-)

My original argument really was that I didn't think the average casual user should
have to worry whether they call it GNU/Linux or simply Linux in everyday
scenarios, so the topics obviously exploded out of proportion.

Put me straight on a few things though! So that's GOOD!