Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide

From: Martin Keegan
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 11:59:46 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, MJ Ray wrote:

> I believe they are normally called things like "Practical Intellectual
> Property Law for Academics" and so on, but I think my title is a bit more
> descriptive of the content.  For example,
> http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/personnel/staffdev/research/r02.html
> looks suspicious to me, although I've never attended it and don't know
> Camb's policies.  http://www.rsd.cam.ac.uk/../tto/ip/ says that they don't

"suspicious"?

I think we should wait for the results of the investigation into the
Research Division's massive (can't really be L80m, can it?) grant to look
into IP issues before casting any stones.

> claim ownership of normal academic forms of publication, so maybe it's safe
> to develop Free Software there.  Even if it is, other places have different
> policies...

Cambridge Uni has a very large free software community, though not a
unified one. Of course, Cambridge Uni is in sheer people terms a very big
university by UK standards.

Mk