Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 09:37:39 GMT

Martin Keegan <address@hidden> wrote:
> There's no general rule, so it is obviously a matter between the
> University and the individual member(s). The default position is that
> people retain the IP (normally in the form of copyright) in the work they
> produce. I'll double-check with the Uni's IPR people, though.

If that's true, it's a welcome difference to most universities that I have
encountered on my travels.

> only Windows or MacOS, and is demanding the equivalent of root access to
> these systems. [...]

Lamentable, but how exactly do you propose to "resist" it?  I think it may
be better to lobby against such a batty policy, especially if you can get
local notables involved if they don't act in the first instance, so you can
embarrass the uni in the press.  They don't like that.  A quiet word along
the lines of "do you know that we're about to take this campaign to the
trade press" to a uni press office can work wonders in getting them to lobby
for you. ;)