Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide

From: Martin Keegan
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 00:54:52 +0100 (BST)

?

> software developed there, though?  If the university decides that they wish
> to close off software developed by its staff or students, can they?  In the

There's no general rule, so it is obviously a matter between the
University and the individual member(s). The default position is that
people retain the IP (normally in the form of copyright) in the work they
produce. I'll double-check with the Uni's IPR people, though.

Tonight it was alleged over beer and chips that Homerton college is
requiring students with machines plugged into its residential LAN to use
only Windows or MacOS, and is demanding the equivalent of root access to
these systems. This means no GNU/Linux. I haven't verified the truth of
this allegation yet, but I'd not be surprised if it were the case. This
sort of thing is happening everywhere, and must be resisted, and that
resistance should be in an organised fashion.

Mk