Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide
Date: 02 Apr 2002 22:48:00 +0100

On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 22:05, Anthony Ogden wrote:
> Ok.  Get the point.   Its just I always thought the term Open Source
> came about because people originally just took "Free Software" to
> mean you didn't pay for it just picked up on the "free" and didn't
> think about the Freedom.

Well, kind of ;) Once people hear "Free as in speech", they realise that
it's nothing to do with price, though. Open Source is umambigous, but
unambigously the wrong thing - "opening" the source isn't what it's
about (see: SSSCL, Apple APSL, Microsoft Shared Source, etc.). On
balance, "Free Software" tends to be the best term.