Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide

From: Philip Hands
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide
Date: 02 Apr 2002 19:18:06 +0100

On Tue, 2002-04-02 at 14:56, Anthony Ogden wrote:

> So when I saw the educational aim written in Linux Format I thought I'd
> check you guys out.   But perhaps its the wrong list for me if its so highly
> politically driven and tied up in so many terms and definitions :)

I think you'll find that that's mostly due to the fact that AFFS is
still fairly embryonic, so there is a need for the people involved to
ensure that it doesn't drift into being something other than that it was
conceived to be.

As such, there are certain important things, like calling Free Software
and GNU/Linux by those names, which if allowed to slip would damage our
future ability to effectively promote Free Software.

Once people are a little more comfortable that the desired consensus
about these things has been established, then there will be less
discussion, but at this stage, it is important to point out the lines in
the sand, and complain when people step over them.

Cheers, Phil.
--
Say no to software patents!  http://petition.eurolinux.org/