Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 12:30:04 +0100

Anthony:
> Fair enough.  On one hand I agree wholeheartedly, on the other I think it
> serves to confuse poor old Joe Public as they already know it within the
> media as simply Linux and they do already have to struggle understaing
> what Redhat is, what SuSE is etc., but for the purposes of this list I
> agree GNU/Linux even if my keyboard will take more of a bashing.

The media is not always as careful as it perhaps should be when getting the
right words for things.  As I know, the pressures of deadlines, etc, means
that pieces sometimes go out without being researched quite as thoroughly as
they should be.  Other times, the spin being produced from parties with an
interest in a particular representation is left unchallenged.

In our case, we don't have a particular deadline to press for, although we
do need things to be done "as soon as possible".  We also have a particular
spin ("freedom is important") that we need to get across from day one.
Hopefully, we can combine these two to produce good copy which follows our
aims.

> I'm up for promoting any use of any Open Source software and indeed "Open
> Anything", such as Open Music too, 400Mb worth of which I downloaded and
> listened to this weekend, and legally too god bless tokyo2051's kind souls
> ;) I think OpenSource and the FSF/GNU etc. are the greatest thing to ever
> happen in computing in my lifetime.

<rant>Sorry, but open alone is worthless.  If you want to just have "open"
music, then any CD without copy controls is "open".  You can listen to it,
etc.  You can even argue that Microsoft's "shared source" is "open".  You
may not be able to do what you want with it, because it's not free.  In some
cases, it even prevents you working on similar works for some length of time
after exposure to the "open" material.  That's why freedom is important.
Indeed, this is why the "OpenSource Definition" is about freedom as well as
being open.  I think we should use the correct name for it, though.</rant>

[Is tokyo2051's music free?  How did you find it?  Are there free music
streams online... I've been looking, but not yet found.]

> I've used OpenBSD in the past and that's also a very good system so I'm
> not completely Linux-centric, but forgive me if I fly off on a purely
> Linux slant sometimes, I love it too much!

Nothing like some irrational beliefs to keep you sane...

> >Can I ask you to not top-post without trimming, please?  TIA.
> Duely trimmed cropped, spliced and discarded.

Thanks.  Much easier for me.

[Not quite sure what happened to the copy of this I just wrote.  Sorry if a
mangled one appears.]
--
MJR