Re: [Fsfe-uk] music ramble [was Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide]

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] music ramble [was Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide]
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 13:47:21 GMT

Richard Smedley <address@hidden> wrote:
> Anthony Ogden wrote:
>> I guess when you can take the music alter it and re-distribute it..
>> that's "Open Music" with "Freedom"?
>
> ... to open up music again simply publish the notation of your tunes under
> a Free Document License. You can still sell the recordings (the complied
> code ;-) under the traditional model; [...]

I disagree with this, really.  I want the recordings, especially of the
things that are difficult to obtain, to be freely reproducible, modifiable
(compilations, mixes, etc) and redistributable.  Very few performers make
much money from their recorded works.  Most of it comes from performance,
which is why we still call them "performers", I guess.

I agree with your other comments about the source forms, though.
--