Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide

From: Anthony Ogden
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 14:56:22 +0100

Vanessa Conchodon wrote:

"open source" is too ambiguous as we don't know if
you refer to the old definition or to the OSD.

Ok, I mean your definition "Free Software" when I say Open Source, I've
always thought Open Source to mean freely available, free to use, free to alter
but perhaps I'll do as you suggest and use the term Free Software instead.

I firmly believe that Free Software is the way forward and I want to release my
code as Free Software when its worthy! But I can see why average
Joe-Windows (or other closed OS) users can get so confused and scared by all this stuff when they, like me, might talk about Open Source then find they should be talking something else, and then find out that someone says their OS is not called what they
thought it was.

Perhaps my thoughts conflict with those on the list, I don't seem to see these
things from your political viewpoints.. more from a "How can I actually
use Free Software in practice?" stand-point, and "How can I tone down the
tech-speak so your average parent can understand it like they use those other
closed systems?"

So when I saw the educational aim written in Linux Format I thought I'd check you guys out. But perhaps its the wrong list for me if its so highly politically
driven and tied up in so many terms and definitions :)