Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide

From: Anthony Ogden
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re:GNU/Linux, Linux Divide
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 12:55:57 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:

<rant>Sorry, but open alone is worthless.  If you want to just have "open"
music, then any CD without copy controls is "open".  You can listen to it,
etc.  You can even argue that Microsoft's "shared source" is "open".  You
may not be able to do what you want with it, because it's not free.  In some
cases, it even prevents you working on similar works for some length of time
after exposure to the "open" material. That's why freedom is important. Indeed, this is why the "OpenSource Definition" is about freedom as well as
being open.  I think we should use the correct name for it, though.</rant>

Ok you sold me, I'm new to the list but I'm slowly getting with it. My main problem is that whilst I adore Open Source and FSF etc. I work in a hardened Microsoft closed environment and rarely ever get to talk about this stuff with anyone who knows anything about it. So
its much appreciated when I can talk to people like youself !

I'd never look at any MS Share Source if they paid me, with the clauses those guys write into it, its worthless being able to read and then only being able to throw the stuff in the bin and risk producing something mildly similar without knowing and getting your ass sued ;p If I was asked to I'd be
inclined to refuse and walk out.

[Is tokyo2051's music free?  How did you find it?  Are there free music
streams online... I've been looking, but not yet found.]

www.tokyo2051.org

Ok perhaps is not truly open source... the site states you can do what you want with it for non-commercial purposes as long as you acknowledge where it came from.

What would Open Source music be though?   They would have to supply you with
the raw musical data so you can alter it too? I guess when you can take the music
alter it and re-distribute it.. that's "Open Music" with "Freedom"?

Nothing like some irrational beliefs to keep you sane...

Believe me... I'm far from sane. Insanity all the way. They only way I can cope
with my screaming kids is to be completely and utterly mad as a hatter ;)