Re: [Dvdrtools-users] DVD+R/+RW support

From: Bryan J . Smith
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] DVD+R/+RW support
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:42:28 -0800

F. Heitkamp wrote:
I have two of the LG drives. I have not been able to read/write the RAM disks with Linux. Is there a how-to somewhere. When I try to mount the disks r/w I get a message complaining that it is not permitted.

Does your fstab entry have "ro" as an option?
If so, remove it, thay's the exact error you'll get if "ro" is in your fstab.

Also note that DVD-RAM discs are pre-formatted and the filesystem is "udf". So if your fstab entry says "iso9660" replace it with "auto" or "iso9660,udf" or just "udf", depending on your kernel/mount.

Also don't forget you can always put multiple fstab entries for the same device, but different mount points. Today "auto" works under the fstab , but I used to put a different entry that mounted to /mnt/dvdram with "udf" filesystem and "rw" explicitly declared.

- Bryan

P.S. I've had a few cases where some UDF!Write programs for Windows will damage the discs,
after which I can't read them anywhere.
--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:address@hidden
Currently Mobile