Re: [Dvdrtools-users] DVD+R/+RW support

From: Bryan J . Smith
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] DVD+R/+RW support
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:17:49 -0800

Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
You're a member of the DVD-R standards group?

I've been a DVD Recorder/Rewriter Consumer for 8+ years.
And I have been deploying both standards-based and proprietary MO for over a dozen years. MO is very *unreliable* without either software or hardware verification.

Furthermore, I've just seen Sony/Philips overpromise and underdeliver themselves into lawsuit after lawsuit.
By the time they finally got their 3GB DVD-R+W out in Japan,
Pioneer had its 4.7GB consumer drives in public prototype.

I am no fan of the DVD Consortium, but Sony/Philips has overpromised and overdelivered continually.

The compatibility of DVD+R is not any worse then DVD-R for any DVD drive manufactured 2004 or later.

"2004 or later" is the key phrase.
Sony/Philips has been marketing DVD+RW and, more recently, DVD+R as the "most compatible format" for 3+ years. It's a bogus claim, and it was really humorous when DVD+R wasn't even compatible with their own drives.

Geez, even Matsushita/Panasonic made DVD-RAM compatible with their own drives and it isn't even a "consumer" format (other than high-end video equipment").

Sony/Philips first promised WORM/DAO in the first gen 4.7GB DVD+RW drives. Then when they came out without WORM/DAO compatibility, they promised a compatible DVD+R "equivalent."
Then DVD+R came out and required new 2nd Gen DVD+RW drives.

HP was none-to-happy with it's Sony/Philips licenser when the lawsuits started on its DVD100 series drives which didn't work with the promised DVD+R.

I only use DVD+RW for rolling backups, and never had a problem. If nothing else, they don't have this annoying feature of having to be erased before further use because they are read-write media.

So is DVD-RW, although its CLV so not as fast.
I would *never* use DVD+RW or DVD-RW for backup.
MO's error-rate is piss-poor, 1 per GB.
Unless you verify in software, you could be putting bogus data bit down every GB. And at 100-1,000 re-writes, anything short of UDF kills the disc rather quickly.

DVD-RAM is the absolute best for rewritable backup.
I have been deploying it with Linux since 1997.
It's firmware was the same as Matsushita PD-CD, so it worked in Linux with a ID patch from day 1. 30-year lifespan, 100,000 re-writes, it's not consumer, but damn if it ain't the standards bomb severely needed for optical archiving.

That's why DVD-RAM was first below $1,000 and in quantity.
Because while consumers weren't ready, many MO users for optical archiving were sorely needing a solution.

For how long do they provide firmware updates after the drive first comes to market?

For awhile I've seen.
Especially my older DVD-RAM drives.

Pioneer is lousy, their's is about 12 months, and after
that you start to find that the currently available media can no longer
be burnt by the Pioneer drive (and the older media is no longer on the
market of course).

Sorry, haven't run into this myself.
I have a 4 year-old Matsushita 3rd-Gen DVD-RAM/R that still does both quite well with 4x DVD-R media. And my LG GSA drives (except 1 refurb that didn't last) have done quite well. The only thing LG was guilty of was the ATA flush command, and that only affected CD-RW drives.

But I'm used to this kind of "you must work for the DVD Consortium" non-sense and arrogance. I've been using MO for over 12 years and I've seen Sony/Philips deliver far less than promised.

--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:address@hidden
Currently Mobile