Re: [Dvdrtools-users] DVD+R/+RW support

From: Bryan J . Smith
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] DVD+R/+RW support
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:51:46 -0800

David Lago wrote:
1) Provided that it's cdrecord-based, does it have the same issue with new kernel versions?

What "issue"? Is that the "set uid" issue on kernel 2.6.8? "chmod u-s cdrecord" solves that in a nanosecond.

2) Does it have any limitation or special conditions of use like ProDVD?

ProDVD has a superset of drive support and capabilities to both dvdrecord and cdrecord2+dvdpatch (the latter is included with most distros now). I have no problem with Jorg's dual-offering, I think it's worth his time in money to get extra support for select drives.

3) Has it DVD+R/+RW writing support, or do I have to use growisofs + cd+rw-tools?

DVD+R (like +RW and -RW as well as CD-RW) is a MO format, and not WORM like CD-R and DVD-R.
As such, dvdrecord and cdrecord2+dvdpatch do *not* support them.
You're even going to have trouble with dual-format drives if the "firmware" is Sony/Philips DVD+R/+RW.

Jorg has some experimental DVD+R support in ProDVD last time I checked, but I personally would never use DVD+R. Because it is CAV MO, it is a basket of issues when it comes to compatibility, much like CAV CD-RW did.

CLV v. CAV is a little know, but serious issue when it comes to MO.
I've had damage as a result, shortening the life of drives, beyond just media. I try to stick with WORM (CD-R and DVD-R) which is the same as pressed ROM, and CLV v. CAV doesn't matter. And if I'm going to use a MO, I like pre-formatted CLV like slower DVD-RAM (long story).

BTW, maximum consumer DVD player compatibility is achieved with a WORM media recorded in disc-at-once (DAO) mode. DVD+R/+RW drives do not support this mode, hence their inherent limitations (even when some of the drives do -R/-RW as well). Which is why Pioneer DVD-R/RW firmware "dual-format" drives are more compatible.

**NOTE: My favored drives are the $60 LG GSA-416x series "MultiDVD" drives. They have Pioneer DVD-R/RW compatible firmware so cdrecord2+dvdpatch supports their latest features/speeds (8x). But they are also Matsushita DVD-RAM compatible which has been supported in Linux since day 1 (circa 1997), now up to 5x (about 2.7x actual with verify-after-write -- very important for MO when you average 5 errors per disc!). And they work with the dvd+r-tools for DVD+R/+RW if you really want them.
All formats, $60.

-- Bryan

P.S.  I do not speak for the project.
--