Re: [Dvdrtools-users] DVD+R/+RW support

From: Volker Kuhlmann
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] DVD+R/+RW support
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:43:24 +1200

> but I personally would never use DVD+R.
> Because it is CAV MO, it is a basket of issues when it comes to
> compatibility, much like CAV CD-RW did.

Sounds far fetched to me.

> CLV v. CAV is a little know, but serious issue when it comes to MO.
> I've had damage as a result, shortening the life of drives, beyond just
> media.

Sounds like a fairy tale to me, at least when stated as generalisation.
You're a member of the DVD-R standards group?

I'd be interested in hearing about your data and reasoning though.

The compatibility of DVD+R is not any worse then DVD-R for any DVD drive
manufactured 2004 or later. I only use DVD+RW for rolling backups, and
never had a problem. If nothing else, they don't have this annoying
feature of having to be erased before further use because they are
read-write media.

I also never understood why people don't like to use growisofs, which
generally just works (better than the various dvd patches to cdrecord
anyway, plus it's actually supported). A different command line syntax
is a pretty bad argument.

> **NOTE:  My favored drives are the $60 LG GSA-416x series "MultiDVD"
> drives.

For how long do they provide firmware updates after the drive first
comes to market? Pioneer is lousy, their's is about 12 months, and after
that you start to find that the currently available media can no longer
be burnt by the Pioneer drive (and the older media is no longer on the
market of course).

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is possibly list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/             Please do not CC list postings to me.