Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.5.04 Released

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.5.04 Released
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 11:12:58 -0500

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 9:47 AM, Edgar Soldin <address@hidden> wrote:
> With some testing it seems to dissolve if some quotes are added to
> 'po/Makevars'.
>
> COPYRIGHT_HOLDER = "Kenneth Loafman <address@hidden>"
> MSGID_BUGS_ADDRESS = "Kenneth Loafman <address@hidden>"

Hmm, that must have been my fault.  It worked for me, so I didn't
think more about it.  Maybe different intltool versions...?

As for whether to make the build-time requirement of gettext optional,
I can see why that makes sense.  But I strongly urge it to be on by
default.

Saying that duplicity is just a command line tool and thereby doesn't
need a translation is a bit crazy in my mind.  Say you have a user
that only speaks Arabic or only speaks French.  How are they going to
use duplicity?  "It's only a command line tool" or "it runs
unattended" doesn't help them very much.  They still have no idea what
any of the options do or how to read any of the messages.

Even if most of the lifetime of duplicity is via cron, the initial
setup is very important (as you have to figure out what to put in
cron).  And saying that most of the interaction is during restore...
Well if the user can't figure out how to restore, what good is
duplicity?

Imagine if Ken was Japanese, and duplicity was Japanese-only.  Would
you still be so hard on translations?

-mt