Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.5.04 Released

From: Richard Scott
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.5.04 Released
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 13:40:57 -0000 (UTC)

Hi,

> Eventually to remind of the discussion for the dbus integration I think
> we should not forget what duplicity is. A '/solid backup package// that will
> run unattended via
> cron or similar/'. I'am not sure if there is no low profile solution for the
> 'bit' of text that
> has to be translated, when the most of user interation happens on restoring.
> And even there the
> interaction is very minimal because of the shell one liner nature of
> duplicity.

I have to agree on making all this optional! I've had to install the following
to get the latest
Duplicity to compile on Gentoo:

dev-perl/XML-Parser-2.36
dev-util/intltool-0.37.1
dev-python/python-distutils-extra-1.91.2

And this is all assuming that the end system will always have perl on it. I
have a Gentoo LiveCD I
make that doesn't have Perl as I don't need it. I remove perl and all its files
before creating
the ISO image and now I'll have to re-think this if I want to keep Duplicity on
the CD :-(

I think anything that increases either the footprint of duplicity or adds a
dependency on external
code should be avoided as much as possible. Obviously using external code for
the transport of
data is a required given (i.e. ssh, ftp etc) but anything that makes Duplicity
look nice and
pretty is a job for a GUI.

Cheers,

Rich