Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.5.04 Released

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.5.04 Released
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 08:16:27 -0600

Richard Scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Eventually to remind of the discussion for the dbus integration I think
>> we should not forget what duplicity is. A '/solid backup package// that will
>> run unattended via
>> cron or similar/'. I'am not sure if there is no low profile solution for the
>> 'bit' of text that
>> has to be translated, when the most of user interation happens on restoring.
>> And even there the
>> interaction is very minimal because of the shell one liner nature of
>> duplicity.
>
> I have to agree on making all this optional! I've had to install the
> following to get the latest
> Duplicity to compile on Gentoo:
>
> dev-perl/XML-Parser-2.36
> dev-util/intltool-0.37.1
> dev-python/python-distutils-extra-1.91.2
>
> And this is all assuming that the end system will always have perl on it. I
> have a Gentoo LiveCD I
> make that doesn't have Perl as I don't need it. I remove perl and all its
> files before creating
> the ISO image and now I'll have to re-think this if I want to keep Duplicity
> on the CD :-(
>
> I think anything that increases either the footprint of duplicity or adds a
> dependency on external
> code should be avoided as much as possible. Obviously using external code for
> the transport of
> data is a required given (i.e. ssh, ftp etc) but anything that makes
> Duplicity look nice and
> pretty is a job for a GUI.

Looks like I got caught this time in not checking the install on a clean
system.  All that is set up on the systems I use already since I had to
use it to build the initial tarball.  I thought it would not be required
by subsequent users, but I was wrong!

I think the original dist/makedist command should take care of this in
order to make a clean distribution tarball.  I'll look into it.

...Ken