Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.5.04 Released

From: Dan Muresan
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.5.04 Released
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 19:17:47 +0200

> Saying that duplicity is just a command line tool and thereby doesn't
> need a translation is a bit crazy in my mind.  Say you have a user
> that only speaks Arabic or only speaks French.  How are they going to

Never mind the messages, how are they going to read the man page? Or the
Duplicity web page? How are they going to communicate on the mailing
list when their backup fails?

I agree that the story is different for Gnome and other large projects
with gazillions of users / contributors / developers. But for duplicity,
I doubt we will even get a lot of translations in the first place...

> Imagine if Ken was Japanese, and duplicity was Japanese-only.  Would
> you still be so hard on translations?

Translations or not, I doubt that someone who doesn't understand the
Duplicity homepage will go for duplicity based solely on command-line
interaction in their native language. Somebody needs to write a blog
entry or a tutorial in a that language in the first place.

In summary, I'm sorry to say I doubt translations will make much of a
difference (except in expended effort, portability problems, enlarged
footprint etc as we are currently witnessing)

-- Dan