Re: Keyboard use (was Re: A few questions about using Denemo on Windows)

From: Petr Pařízek
Subject: Re: Keyboard use (was Re: A few questions about using Denemo on Windows)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 12:06:19 +0200

Richard wrote:

> If you make progress please report back as others will want to know.

I would love to. But in order I could do that, there would have to be at
least a brief set of introductory instructions on how a specific
procedure (like writing a simple melody) can be done entirely via the
keyboard and what things Denemo will be playing then via MIDI. If
there's no such introductory piece of text, it's a bit as if I had, for
example, never heard what a command prompt is and launched the command
prompt for the first time, without knowing that I'll close it by typing
"exit" rather than by pressing Alt+F4 (you may be surprised to find how
many Windows users get annoyed when Alt+F4 doesn't work).
In Windows there are several conventions about which basic keystrokes
usually do what (like switching between open windows or saving the
current file or invoking the file open dialog or reaching a specific
menu on the menu bar) and if these don't work in the particular program,
then a blind user should have the possibility to read a detailed
documentation on doing even the simplest tasks. If I somehow managed to
do an OCR on the screen and could therefore read the screen content as
text (some programs do have tools for doing this), it still wouldn't
help me in this regard because I still wouldn't know what kind of
feedback I should expect after pressing that keystroke or what I'm
supposed to press next.
If there were a detailed list of default keyboard shortcuts somewhere,
maybe this would be at least partially of some help for a blind user.
But as I'm saying, I would still need more guidance than someone who can
examine more than one line of text at a time and who can use the mouse.
That's why for most programs, the very first steps for testing a given
program with a screen reader are often done by someone who can actually
see the screen. Then only the subsequent testing is done by the blind user.
And to be honest, I can't comment on how a blind user would use Denemo
on Linux because all the blind users I've met (except one who has a Mac)
use Windows.

As I've said, I'd love to be helpful here but I'm afraid I can't be the
one who starts the testing here, unless I know about a step-by-step
procedure which would allow me to do at least a bit of it.

Petr

--
Tento e-mail byl zkontrolován na viry programem AVG.
http://www.avg.cz