Re: Keyboard use (was Re: A few questions about using Denemo on Windows)

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Keyboard use (was Re: A few questions about using Denemo on Windows)
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2020 14:40:23 +0100

On Sun, 2020-08-09 at 14:22 +0200, Petr Pařízek wrote:
> Hi again.
>
> Bad news:
> I wanted to test if Denemo is usable with a screen reader.
> Unfortunately, I found that the non-standard way of presenting text
> on
> the screen prevents the screen reader from sending anything at all
> the speech synthesizer. This is something I can't assist in because
>
> happen to be blind myself. It would require someone who can look at
> the
> screen and who can try out one particular screen reader, like NVDA
> or
> like JAWS For Windows, to see what could be done about this, if
> anything.
> The trouble is that even the most elementary keystrokes don't seem
> work, which means that I don't even know how to shut down Denemo or
> how
> to load a score from a file.
> Sad but true.

I've been giving the subject some thought and was thinking that it is
likely that the Frescobaldi program would be of more use to a blind
user, since when you type "c d e" in Denemo you get a score typeset
with the start of the C-major scale and the same is true in
Frescobaldi. The difference is that Denemo gives you visual feedback -
you see the notes c d e on screen - whereas Frescobaldi you see the
letters. The visual feedback from Denemo is useless to a blind person,
but the letters can be read back so that you know what music was
entered. This is always assuming your final goal is to typeset music
for the use of sighted people...