A few questions about using Denemo on Windows

From: Petr Pařízek
Subject: A few questions about using Denemo on Windows
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2020 07:11:18 +0200

Hello,

I've discovered Denemo just recently and I'd like to ask a few questions
before I give it a try.

#1. Not sure whether the following is a bug in the ".zip" file or in
WinRar or in my version of Windows. When I try to extract the ".zip"
file containing the newest version of Denemo, WinRar tells me that the
Terminfo subdirectory, both in the Share and Lib directories, contains a
lot of duplicate file names, which means I get a lot of questions like
"File exists, replace?" And I have to choose "Yes to all" if I want to
avoid that. A different extracting program (Zip Reader from PKWare)
seems to get confused and creates empty subdirectories whenever it finds
a duplicate name in the archive. I have double-checked that the
destination directory did not exist on my hard drive before I started
the extraction. Are the duplicate names a bug in the ".zip" file or am I
supposed to do something about this?

#2. The Denemo documentation explains pretty clearly how I can input
notes/rests entirely via the PC keyboard (i.e. without one single click
of a mouse). However, as far as navigation via the PC keyboard is
concerned, the explanation seems to be scattered all around several
chapters in the manual. Therefore, even though I can get a good idea of
how I would use the PC keyboard to input music, I can hardly get an idea
of how I would use the PC keyboard to navigate in the score or to
actually hear it. Am I missing something or does the documentation
explain this somewhere in greater detail?

The reason why I'm asking is the following:
Let's suppose someone finds out that Denemo does indeed allow me to
write a piece of music using the PC keyboard entirely. Someone else
would learn about this and realize that such a feature would be of
enormous benefit for blind users as they have to do everything via the
keyboard. Since most blind users work with speech synthesizers which can
read text but cannot read graphics, the first thing that this "person B"
would then do is present some relevant information on the status line
(i.e. the bottom line of the active window). Since most screen reading
programs have a built-in command for reading the status line, it might
contain some complementary information which may be unclear from the
sole navigation in the score. For example, if I pressed the dedicated
key combination which would move me one note/chord to the right/left and
if Denemo then played the focused note/chord for me, the status line
might contain some info about it, like "C4 quarter, bar 5 beat 3", for
example. (Sadly, it can't be me who would make this adjustment, as I
don't know how to write the code, but hopefully there would be someone
interested in this.)

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Petr

--
Tento e-mail byl zkontrolován na viry programem AVG.
http://www.avg.cz