Re: Keyboard use (was Re: A few questions about using Denemo on Windows)

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Keyboard use (was Re: A few questions about using Denemo on Windows)
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2020 17:31:14 +0100

On Sun, 2020-08-09 at 17:45 +0200, Petr Pařízek wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>
>  > This is always assuming your final goal is to typeset music
>  > for the use of sighted people...
>
> It might definitely be possible for a blind person to typeset music
> for
> sighted people (which is something blind musicians would often love
> do but can't) if the working environment itself could give textual
> or
> auditory feedback. The trouble is that most score writing programs
> either don't give much of that feedback or they present text as
> graphics
> on the screen even if it's text (the latter is, sadly, a very
> frequent
> issue). As a result, if *I* want to typeset music for others to
> read,
> I'm currently trying to learn GNU LilyPond which allows me to write
> plain text files. The trouble is, even though GNU LilyPond is much
> much
> less verbose than some other text-based formats, writing it this way
> still takes a lot of time. It would definitely be much faster if I
> could
> just listen to the individual notes or chords while navigating
> through
> the music,

This is the bit that Denemo can do - there are commands to play the
notes/chords at the cursor position and it would be trivial to create a
command to play the current measure (bar), for example. It would also
be trivial to emit the LilyPond syntax for the note/chord at the
cursor, but I gather the text that Denemo emits as generated by the Gtk
library - Pango -  is not accessible to screen readers (??? - is this
true of other Gtk based programs? Gtk is not the commonest library on
Windows but I would be surprised if it differed radically from others.
I think Gimp may be the most well-known Gtk-based program that runs on
Windows).

Well, the LilyPond syntax could be emitted to a terminal - that too
would be trivial enough.