Re: Keyboard use (was Re: A few questions about using Denemo on Windows)

From: Petr Pařízek
Subject: Re: Keyboard use (was Re: A few questions about using Denemo on Windows)
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2020 17:45:01 +0200

Richard wrote:

> This is always assuming your final goal is to typeset music
> for the use of sighted people...

It might definitely be possible for a blind person to typeset music for
sighted people (which is something blind musicians would often love to
do but can't) if the working environment itself could give textual or
auditory feedback. The trouble is that most score writing programs
either don't give much of that feedback or they present text as graphics
on the screen even if it's text (the latter is, sadly, a very frequent
issue). As a result, if *I* want to typeset music for others to read,
I'm currently trying to learn GNU LilyPond which allows me to write
plain text files. The trouble is, even though GNU LilyPond is much much
less verbose than some other text-based formats, writing it this way
still takes a lot of time. It would definitely be much faster if I could
just listen to the individual notes or chords while navigating through
the music, so that a sighted reader would know where I am on the screen
and could actually follow me. There were some attempts to do this but it
ended up with some blind users using programs that just a few people in
the world seem to know about. So then yes, blind users were indeed able
to typeset music, but when a sighted reader wanted to send them some
music, either for editing or for listening to, he had to actually
install the particular (highly unpopular) score writer on his own
machine and write it there from scratch. I'm trying to find a better way.

Petr

--
Tento e-mail byl zkontrolován na viry programem AVG.
http://www.avg.cz