Keyboard use (was Re: A few questions about using Denemo on Windows)

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Keyboard use (was Re: A few questions about using Denemo on Windows)
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2020 09:50:52 +0100

On Sun, 2020-08-09 at 07:11 +0200, Petr Pařízek wrote:

[...]
> #2. The Denemo documentation explains pretty clearly how I can input
> notes/rests entirely via the PC keyboard (i.e. without one single
> click
> of a mouse). However, as far as navigation via the PC keyboard is
> concerned, the explanation seems to be scattered all around several
> chapters in the manual. Therefore, even though I can get a good idea
> of
> how I would use the PC keyboard to input music, I can hardly get an
> idea
> of how I would use the PC keyboard to navigate in the score or to
> actually hear it. Am I missing something or does the documentation
> explain this somewhere in greater detail?

What you may be missing is that Denemo makes it very, very easy to make
the PC keyboard do anything you want it to do. The keyboard shortcuts
that are there by default are the ones that have been there since 1999
(when Denemo was keyboard only) together with samples added by various
people since for things they found convenient.

I say "very easy" but perhaps only very easy if you are not blind - I'm
not so sure how easy it would be to set up a complete set of keyboard
shortcuts for the tasks you want to do if you cannot right click on the
command you want to set a shortcut for. The only completely textual way
to set shortcuts that I can think of would be to write them into a file
- each shortcut looks like this:

      <row>
        <action>MoveCursorLeft</action>
        <bind>Left</bind>
      </row>

that is, there is a "row" which contains the name of an action and the
name of the keyboard key which is bound to that action. But looking up
each command you want and looking up the (GDK) name of the keyboard key
would be very slow.

There may be other possibilities though - once someone has a set of
shortcuts for some specific type of user then it will be easy to
distribute it with Denemo for anyone to use.

Perhaps the other thing to enquire is what output from Denemo would a
blind user want? Typeset music for sighted players? MIDI output?
Braille music output? Only the first of these is really targeted by
Denemo.

HTH

Richard