Navigating Dialog boxes with keyboard (was Re: Keyboard use (was Re: A f

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Navigating Dialog boxes with keyboard (was Re: Keyboard use (was Re: A few questions about using Denemo on Windows))
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 17:58:41 +0100

On Tue, 2020-08-11 at 21:10 +0200, Petr Pařízek wrote:
>  > But, from what you are saying, blind people can cope
>  > with pop-up dialogs?
>
> Yes, they can, provided that the standard keyboard commands usually
> used
> for navigation are available -- i.e. in standard Windows dialogs,
> it's
> Tab or Shift+Tab for moving forwards or backwards through controls,
> Space Bar for checking or unchecking a checkbox, upper or lower
> cursor
> key for moving through the list of files or for changing the value
> of
> the currently selected item, Enter for pressing a button.

Hmm, given your hint about Tab and Shift-Tab I tried saving a file
(Ctrl-s) and then only using the keyboard to choose a directory and
name my file. I Tab and Shift-Tab did do something but I couldn't
figure out how to navigate off the list of files already present in a
directory. Perhaps this was just my unfamiliarity with this technique -
the intent of the Gtk widget library would be that it should be
navigable using expected keystrokes I'm pretty sure.