Re: Release Plan

From: EricZolf
Subject: Re: Release Plan
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 13:09:41 +0100

Hi,

On 21/11/2019 14:49, Patrik Dufresne wrote:
Hello

Regarding our release plan. Had a chat with someone on #debian-mentors regarding the packaging of rdiff-backup for Debian. I'm not sure of all the step required to make this happen, could we get more details about what should be done, what is missing, what are the step to make this happen.

My understanding is that Otto is already the Debian packager of rdiff-backup [1] and that he'll shout loud and clear if he's not able to package the next version of it :-)

Based on my personal experience as Debian packager, as upstream project, we just need to "stay out of the way", i.e. in a nutshell make sure to have:

- clearly released source code
- no hidden or very strange dependencies
- no binaries in the source code
- fully automatable build and installation process
- rather stable structure of build and installation process (packagers don't like to redo their package anew with each new release) - support the packager if he has questions or improvement suggestions to make their life easier

And I think those are all given in our case, but Otto is very welcome to comment. Same thing for Frank and Fedora [2]!

KR, Eric

PS: please don't put me in copy of the list, I'm on it and I read it.

[1] https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/rdiff-backup (right hand side).
[2] https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/rdiff-backup/overview/

I want to make sure we are covered

--
Patrik Dufresne Service Logiciel inc.
http://www.patrikdufresne.com <http://patrikdufresne.com/>/

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 3:10 PM EricZolf <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Hi Patrik,

    On 19/11/2019 20:54, Patrik Dufresne wrote:
     > Yep, sorry. About that, I intend to get appveyor working, but then I
     > found out the current travis build for linux was not working well.
     > Submitted a PR to fix the scm_version and did not complete it.

    If you could just do a rebase on this one, that would be great, I could
    merge it.

     > Long story short, I did not take time to complete the work. But I
    don't
     > have alot of free time to spent and I really want to jump in, but
    I'm
     > struggling just to follow all your changes Eric :P

    The trick is to learn looking TV and doing coding at the same time ;-)

     > Regarding the Windows build, it might also be interesting to
    leverage
     > the travis windows build instead of appveyor. Would allow us to
    have a
     > unique CICD pipeline instead of two.

    Whatever works for Arrigo or you, I'm open! At the end the result
    counts. Limiting the number of technologies sounds like a good
    strategy,
    so I'm all for Travis, but if AppVeyor is easier/better for any reason,
    also fine.

    Thanks, Eric

    <mailto:address@hidden>
     > <mailto:address@hidden
    <mailto:address@hidden>>> wrote:

     >     Hi Arrigo,
     >
     >     any help is welcome. Patrick started to work on an Appveyor setup
     >     but he
     >     seems to be busy, so if you want to take over the
    issue/branch [1] and
     >     finish the work, drop a note in the issue to give Patrick a
    chance to
     >     react, but from my point of view, you're welcome!
     >
     >     Also under `tools/windows` there is a build setup based on a
    Vagrant VM