Re: Release Plan

From: EricZolf
Subject: Re: Release Plan
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2019 21:29:10 +0000

Hi,
good question, let me try to summarize the current state:

- migration to Python 3 is finished, there are no  known regressions.
- we've fixed a fair amount of smaller bugs and cleaned the repo structure
- testing on Linux is done automatically and regularly so that I'm quite
confident about the quality of the code on this platform
- testing on Windows would need more love - anybody is welcome to test who can
compile rdiff-backup
- cross-platform testing is also a topic where we need testers
- if nobody takes care of MacOS, it'll get dropped as an officially supported
platform (we won't remove code, but it'll be by chance that it'll work)
- the remaining enhancements we need for this release (mainly around CI/CD) are
mostly addressed via on-going PRs, here Otto and Patrick must tell if they need
support. There was little movement in the recent past.

Writing these lines, I realise that I should try to generate a beta release
(even if only manually) so that people can more easily test, without the
trouble of compiling the code.
Let me work on it, and come back to you.

KR, Eric