Re: Windows [Re: Release Plan]

From: Arrigo Marchiori
Subject: Re: Windows [Re: Release Plan]
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2019 00:51:47 +0100

Hello Eric,

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 07:48:27AM +0100, address@hidden wrote:

> Hi Arrigo,
>
> On 19/11/2019 10:54, Arrigo Marchiori wrote:
> > I developed a small build system:
> > https://github.com/ardovm/rdiff-backup-build
> > that makes an self-contained EXE file (as did previous stable
> > releases) starting from the sources of librsync and rdiff-backup.
>
> Does your Windows binary send back a proper version with `rdiff-backup
> --version` or only DEV?

It replies "rdiff-backup DEV".

> > It can also make self-contained binaries for Linux, and possibly other
> > Unix-based systems (to be tested).
>
> I won't keep anybody from doing it, but not exactly the Linux/Unix way
> IMHO... I'd go for wheels as main artifact from the project and let
> package maintainers from the distros take care of their favorite format
> (RPM, DEB, ...).

Yes, I also think that the package maintainers shall take care of
their favorite format.

I thought of self-contained binaries as the most straightforward
solution for ``casual testers'' to test beta's and nightly builds. But
I must confess I know nothing about Python wheels, so I might be
trying to solve an non-existant problem.

Best regards,
--
rigo

http://rigo.altervista.org