[Mldonkey-users] Re: Swamping by LowID-Clients cause queue dropouts

From: Sven Hartge
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Swamping by LowID-Clients cause queue dropouts
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 22:59:44 +0100

Goswin Brederlow <address@hidden> wrote:
> Sven Hartge <address@hidden> writes:

>> Well, I have max_opened_connections at 150 and after I increased the value
>> for max_clients_per_second, my overall download rate increased as well,
>> while the overhead seems to be the same.

> Of cause limiting the number of connectiuons prevents them to rise
> real high.

At least, this limit work in most cases.

>> Of course: The bandwidth management is as worse as ever and with this
>> settings it behaves even more worse. I have to admit this.

>>> The proper fix would be to give queue renewals a much higher priority
>>> than other connects.

>> Right, but ...

>> Problem is: you cannot really stop the LowID clients from connecting to
>> you.

> There are only two reasons why a LowID client connects to you:

> 1. You asked it too because you want something from him

As I wrote in another mail:

mldonkey needs to decrement the max_connections_per_second counter in
two cases:

 1) Connecting to a source
 2) Asking a server to tell a LowID source to connect to us.

Right now the code does the following:

Decrement max_connections_per_second if

 a) we connect to a source
 b) a source connects to us

It seems, it does not limit the asking for LowID sources to connect, so
they fill the line and empty the max_connections_per_second "bucket".

>> Another problem is: We don't know, why a LowID client is connecting and
>> have to ask the whole number of files currently active. This is an
>> enourmous waste of bandwidth. But all the other clients face this problem
>> too, so, how does eMule cope with that?

> We should know.

Yes we should know, but right now, the code does not. This is why we ask
every LowID source the whole number of files currently downloading.

Since the last commit was some time ago, I don't know, if there is
something ready in the new code.

MLDonkey, can you tell something about the further developement?

S°

--
142 Reasons, Why You Can't Find Your System Administrator
98. reading news