Re: [Mldonkey-users] Swamping by LowID-Clients cause queue dropouts

From: Neil Sedger
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Swamping by LowID-Clients cause queue dropouts
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:05:06 +0000

Sven Hartge wrote:
The max_clients_per_second value includes LowID and own connections.

If too many LowID clients connect to you, you will _never_ initate a
connection of your own.

Because of this, you drop out of the queue of nearly any direct client,
because you don't reconnect in the given time to renew the claim for
your slot.

I now increased the max_clients_per_second to 20 (!!) and guess what: I
am finally able to get some bytes for my rare files.

Yup that seems to help a lot.

Could this also have affected Overnet clients? Because after being up for a couple of days I client_stats shows no overnet downloads - and very little uploads - although ovstats shows that I know plenty of clients (191)... After changing max_clients_per_second as suggested I now have some overnet downloads.

How do we work out the ideal 'max_clients_per_second'? Does it have an impact on RAM, CPU load or network load? (I'm running on ADSL 512kbit down / 256kbit up, dual celeron 500, 384mb RAM on kernel 2.4.20 SMP)

ta
Neil