Re: [Mldonkey-users] Swamping by LowID-Clients cause queue dropouts

From: Goswin Brederlow
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Swamping by LowID-Clients cause queue dropouts
Date: 11 Feb 2003 21:08:20 +0100

Sven Hartge <address@hidden> writes:

> Um 23:57 Uhr am 09.02.03 schrieb Goswin Brederlow:
> > Sven Hartge <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> If too many LowID clients connect to you, you will _never_ initate a
> >> connection of your own.
>
> >> Because of this, you drop out of the queue of nearly any direct client,
> >> because you don't reconnect in the given time to renew the claim for
> >> your slot.
>
> >> I now increased the max_clients_per_second to 20 (!!) and guess what: I
> >> am finally able to get some bytes for my rare files.
>
> >> Please experiment with this setting, while leaving *every other* setting
> >> _untouched_.
>
> > That increases the number of connections from 200-300 to 600-800 and
> > the outgoing traffic goes from 6-8 to 10 (which is the hardlimit for
> > mldonkeyon the router). With all the new connects the downloads drop
> > dead even if you get a download.
>
> Well, I have max_opened_connections at 150 and after I increased the value
> for max_clients_per_second, my overall download rate increased as well,
> while the overhead seems to be the same.

Of cause limiting the number of connectiuons prevents them to rise
real high.

> Of course: The bandwidth management is as worse as ever and with this
> settings it behaves even more worse. I have to admit this.
>
> > The proper fix would be to give queue renewals a much higher priority
> > than other connects.
>
> Right, but ...
>
> Problem is: you cannot really stop the LowID clients from connecting to
> you.

There are only two reasons why a LowID client connects to you:

1. You asked it too because you want something from him

> You cannot and should not stop clients from connecting, because it may be
> _the_ source knocking on the door, trying upload the bytes you were
> missing since 2 weeks to you.

In this case you should know why you asked the client to connect, you
already know it has some file from a server or source propagation.

> Another problem is: We don't know, why a LowID client is connecting and
> have to ask the whole number of files currently active. This is an
> enourmous waste of bandwidth. But all the other clients face this problem
> too, so, how does eMule cope with that?

We should know.

2. A LowID client wants something from us (he will still be LowID, right?)

We never asked the client to connect. Not much point asking him
anything unless we have the bandwith to spare. Maybe we are lucky and
he has one of the files we need. Otherwise just wait and see what he
wants.

MfG
        Goswin