[Mldonkey-users] Re: Swamping by LowID-Clients cause queue dropouts

From: Sven Hartge
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Swamping by LowID-Clients cause queue dropouts
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 01:13:13 +0100

Neil Sedger <address@hidden> wrote:
> Sven Hartge wrote:

>> The max_clients_per_second value includes LowID and own connections.
>> If too many LowID clients connect to you, you will _never_ initate a
>> connection of your own.
>> Because of this, you drop out of the queue of nearly any direct client,
>> because you don't reconnect in the given time to renew the claim for
>> your slot.
>> I now increased the max_clients_per_second to 20 (!!) and guess what: I
>> am finally able to get some bytes for my rare files.

> Yup that seems to help a lot.

> Could this also have affected Overnet clients? Because after being up
> for a couple of days I client_stats shows no overnet downloads - and
> very little uploads - although ovstats shows that I know plenty of
> clients (191)...
> After changing max_clients_per_second as suggested I now have some
> overnet downloads.

> How do we work out the ideal 'max_clients_per_second'? Does it have an
> impact on RAM, CPU load or network load?

It does have a tremendous effect on the overhead mldonkey creates.

To correct way to stop this swamping would be the following (in my
opinion):

Right now, We decrement max_clients_per_second every time, a source
connects to us or we connect to a source.

Because the LowID sources take all those "slots", we are never able to
connect a source ourself.

So the solution would be, to decrement max_clients_per_second as soon,
as we tell a server to tell da LowID source to connect to us.

Then we could set some ratio like 75% percent of max_clients_per_second
is reserved for Direct sources, the rest for LowID sources.

Without looking at the code, it seems, mldonkey just asks the servers at
once it needs to connect a LowID source, while using
max_clients_per_second for the connections to Direct sources.

This way, Direct sources are handled like "lower class" sources, because
the LowID sources take all the "slots" in max_clients_per_second.

The optimal value is somewhere between 5 and 1 for an ISDN line, but
right now this bug in mldonkey prevents the correct usage for
max_clients_per_second

S°

--
142 Reasons, Why You Can't Find Your System Administrator
43. (S)he's at the pub, it's all *too* much.